Thursday, June 4, 2015

June is here!

(This post was written in November, but I took a blog break for awhile.  To capture the memory, I'm posting it now).

Our sweet baby girl arrived on November 16, 2014 at 7:21am.  We named her June.  She is such an amazing blessing, and she arrived into this world in a memorable way.

Here is her birth story:

Around 11:30pm on Saturday, November 15, 2014, I started having contractions.  I wasn’t sure what they were at first, but Seth realized I was restless, so he asked me what was happening.  We decided that I should get in the bathtub for a while and drink a couple large glasses of water to see if they stopped or slowed down. 

By 12:30am, the contractions had become more intense and longer.  Each were about 35 seconds long, with each contraction beginning about 2 minutes after the prior one started.   Around 12:50, we texted our doula, Becky, to let her know what was happening.  We didn’t hear back from her, so we called her at 1:15am.  Her mom answered her phone and told us that Becky was on her way to the Midwife’s Place birth center already, with Suzanne.  Suzanne is a friend from church that was due around the same day as me.  Becky was also her doula.  We tried contacting Becky by texting Suzanne’s phone, but since Suzanne was in labor, we didn’t get ahold of her.  Contractions continued to get longer, closer together, and more intense.

Shortly after that, we decided we better head to the birth center.  The drive is about 1 ½ hours from our house.  We had gotten some snow earlier that day, and the roads weren’t too bad, but they were slick in places.  When we got to the interstate, Seth called the birth center to let them know that we were coming.  Rachael, our midwife, asked some questions about the contractions, and we told her our doula was already there.  She said that if we weren’t progressed enough, she would send us walking, just to prepare us for what might happen.

The drive was mostly silence, with me squeezing Seth’s hand and using my phone to time the contractions.  They continued to get more intense throughout the drive.  I could tell that Seth would accelerate when I squeezed his hand during a contraction.  I had my eyes closed for most of the ride, but I knew that we were getting closer and closer to our exit.  When we finally exited at Bellevue, there were road crews salting and scraping the roads.  At one point, Seth had to put on his hazards and pass the trucks on the shoulder to get past them.

We arrived at the birth center around 3:30am.  Just as we arrived, we heard a cry from the other room.  Suzanne had had her baby!  Seth helped me into the birthing room, where Rachael helped me onto the bed to check my progress.  I was 6cm dilated and 100% effaced, which is the perfect time to arrive at the birth center.  We didn’t need to leave.  This baby was coming soon!

I decided to get in the tub to start laboring in there.  Rachael started filling it up, but had to check on Suzanne and her baby.  Becky didn’t yet know that we were there.  It was a little while later when Rachael told Becky.  I think Rachael thought that we had already contacted her.  Seth was with me the whole time, I used him as support through each contraction.  

While in the tub, I was progressing well, and contractions continued to intensify.  I stayed in one position for awhile, but when Becky did come in, she encouraged me to change positions.  After laboring in the tub, and a little outside the tub, I asked Becky if I could have Rachael check me.  I wanted to know if it was time to push.  Rachael checked me at about 6:20am.  She said I was 10 cm dilated, and encouraged me to push.  I got back in the tub and knelt or squatted during contractions.  I pushed for about 1 hour, and was able to reach down and feel the baby’s head a couple times.  Throughout the entire labor, Seth, Becky, and Rachael were all very encouraging and supportive.  They helped me with my breathing and keeping the moaning low.  I didn’t talk much, but I felt supported the whole time.  I used Seth as physical support by grasping his hands and pulling with all my strength. 

At 7:21am, baby June arrived!  She was born in the water, immediately placed on my chest, and able to stay there until the umbilical cord stopped pulsing.  Once it had, Seth cut the cord, and they gave June to Seth to continue the skin to skin contact.  I then delivered the placenta, and Rachel helped clean me up.  I was then able to join Seth on the bed to snuggle and nurse our new baby girl.  It was an amazing birth experience, and a miracle to experience.  We are so thankful to Rachael and Becky for supporting us.  And I’m so thankful that Seth was there the whole time to help me feel secure and confident to have a natural, medication-free birth.

 photo AmySIG_zpsca1bc657.png

No comments:

Post a Comment