Monday, February 10, 2014

Table for One


One of the weirdest things about being on a trip for work is going out to eat by yourself.  Now, in interest of full disclosure, I've been on this trip for 6 weeks, and I've only sat down and eaten at a restaurant alone three times.  Which proves to you how much I dislike it.

One of the perks of being married is that you always have a dinner date.  It is strange to tell the host or hostess, "Just one."  And when I sit down, I feel like I should do something besides just eat.  Like check my phone or read a newspaper or do something!  I'm sure there are people out there that are way more comfortable with this solo activity.  I am not one of those people.

I went to a pub-type restaurant on Saturday afternoon.  I sat at the bar, because somehow that seemed less awkward to me.  I figured I could pretend to watch sports on TV.  No one would be staring back at me, expect maybe the bartender.  But even with all those fail-safes in place, I picked up a newspaper they had on the counter and started mindlessly reading that.  And then I started making a "To Do" list for next week.  And then I started a text conversation with my husband.  I couldn't just sit and eat.

So, naturally most of my meals have been consumed alone in my hotel room.  Somehow that doesn't seem as sad as eating alone at a restaurant.  Haha!  Did I mention that I cannot wait to get home?  Seth and I have been discussing all the meals we are going to cook when I get home.  Mainly perfecting our pizza recipe.  We love us some pizza.

And.........only 3 more full days until I go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment