Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hotel Life

I have been living out of a hotel for the last 24 days.  And I have 15 days left.  Can I say I am in the home stretch yet?  The joys of living out of a hotel room.  There are some definite pros and some serious cons.

Pros

  • Well for one, I don't have to make my bed.  Someone does it for me!  Everyday.
  • The little coffee pods are miraculously restocked when I return to my room after work.
  • I have HGTV, TLC, and the Food Network to watch.  We don't have cable at home, so I'm pretty much getting my fill of DIY projects, What Not to Wear, and Pioneer Woman.  Oh, how I love Pioneer Woman.
  • Little to no responsibility.  Actually, I think this might be more of a con.  I do not want to develop bad habits that will follow me back home.

Cons
  • The strange noises.  The hotel is right next door to a fire station and the light rail tracks.  There must be a lot of emergencies, because those sirens seem to go blaring every 15 minutes.  I have a hard time falling asleep a night because of all the weird noises.  I'm used to living in the country, where all I hear is the occasional cow moo from the neighbors that live 1/4 mile away.
  • Laundry costs $3.50 per load.  Lucky for me, I've learned to master the no-need-to-sort-throw-everything-in-one-load method.  I'll teach you about it someday.  But seriously, $3.50 seems pretty steep. 
  • There are so many pillows, you would think that I could cuddle up with a couple and get a good night's sleep, but really no amount of pillows can substitute for my #1 snuggler back home.  (I'm talking about my husband, although my puggle is also a world class snuggler).
    One thing that I think I've always known, but has really been reinforced on this trip, is how much I love being home.  Everyone has a little bit of that grass-is-always-greener mentality, and unfortunately those few minutes that I thought "I could go to Baltimore, it would break up the day-to-day stuff at my regular job" have more so impacted my home life.  Duh, Amy.  You aren't just in Baltimore during the work day!  
    I want to get back to my actual life.  The life where I spend my free time with my hubby, even if it means I don't have the Food Network.  I want the routine of making my own bed (somedays) and doing laundry in my own house.  Actual life sure beats this hotel life any day of the week.  
      

1 comment:

  1. We don't have cable at home so it's always a perk to have tv when we travel, it's like a luxury ;) Hope your trip is going well and before you know it you will be back home!

    ReplyDelete