Sunday, January 26, 2014

Gardening for an Extreme Beginner

I've ordered the seeds and bought the books.  I'm officially a beginning gardener.  A real beginner.  I really have no idea what to do once it comes to actual planting.  The only thing I've planted before are flowers, but I am really eager to plant and harvest actual food.  I have a lot to learn before we are eating food from our garden though.

I bought these books at Barnes & Noble this afternoon.


I ordered about 35 items from SeedsNow.com.  They only sell organic, non-GMO seeds.  I'm excited to not only grow our own food, but to do it organically.  The other great thing about this site is that you can buy sampler packs of just a few seeds in order to try them out.

I bought the following seeds:
-Green onions
-Rosemary
-Cilantro
-Thyme
-Basil
-Honeydew melon
-Watermelon
-Romaine lettuce
-Kale
-Spinach
-Lemon cucumber
-Green cucumber
-Summer squash
-Zucchini
-Spaghetti squash
-Alfalfa sprouts
-Tomatoes (two kinds)
-Carrots
-Broccoli (green and purple)
-Peppers (seven kinds, I might be crazy)
-Sugar snap peas
-Green beans
-Asparagus

And just for fun:
-Little pumpkins
-Giant pumpkins
-Jack O'Lantern pumpkins

Seth and I moved out to an acreage in November, and have plenty of space for a garden.  He wants to use a large open area that is already partially tilled.  But I want to save this space for our future dream of building a tennis court.  And I would rather start some raised beds closer to the house and the outbuilding that I will use as a garden shed.

I know that not all the above seeds will be planted and harvested at the same time.  And I also need to start planning the locations of plants and figuring out what to plant at what time.  Just a lot to learn before I get started!  I plan to document this gardening journey along the way.  Any tips or suggestions that you have are welcome!

I'm still on my work trip and have 19 days left until I return home.  I think this will be a fun and rewarding project to work on with my hubby.  I'm expecting a lot of hard work and time and dirt in our future!

1 comment:

  1. Oh so exciting! We started doing gardening using the square foot method last year and LOVED it!!! Can't wait to hear how yours goes :) 19 days girl,,, getting closer :)

    ReplyDelete